Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Farewell to Cancer and to my Finger Party


Hosting a party may seem like a strange thing to do when you have just been diagnosed with cancer, but it gave me something positive to throw myself into while I waited for the day of surgery. 10 days after diagnosis I had a Farewell party. Dark humor kept it all fun and positive. I was surrounded with family and friends.  It was wonderful. One friend had temporary tattoos for people to put on their pointer fingers in a show of solidarity and I even had one friend dye her hair pink in support. She's a nut :)

I lasted from 7-11 then hit the proverbial wall and pulled an Irish goodbye (going upstairs to bed without saying goodnight/goodbye to my guests) so that they continued to have fun. It was really fun to hear them all down there having fun on my behalf. I am so lucky to have such great support. <3

One last thought,  if ever you come across a situation like this, never ever tell the amputee stories of when you sliced off the top of your finger with a mandolin. Or when your uncle had his fingers cut off by a saw... It doesnt make us feel better!  Just sayin...

No comments:

Post a Comment