Sunday, November 23, 2014

Week 8 - Jewish Weddings, Old friends and a Red Wrap Dress

 This week I had some sentimental firsts.  Two old college friends got married in a beautiful traditional Jewish ceremony.   This was the first traditional Jewish wedding I have ever attended.  That might not seem so unusual unless you knew that I'm Jewish! lol  All the Jewish weddings I have attended that were officiated by a Rabbi were also dual religion.  My own wedding there was a Priest and a Rabbi.  It's a lovely blend, but some of the traditions were lost in the mixing.

This wedding had all the bells and whistles!  They had a Huppah, or wedding canopy (apparently the custom dates back to tent dwelling nomadic days in the desert!)  The bride and groom 'circled' each other 7 times (traditionally it was only the bride that circled but modern times calls for each to circle the other 3 times then they both circle together once. I read that it is supposed to represent the 7 wedding blessings, 7 days of creation or demonstrate that the groom is the center of the brides world.  

I think the breaking of the glass is the most popularly known part of the wedding ceremony.  Depending on whom you ask its supposed to be  a symbol of the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem,  a representation of the fragility of human relationships and or  a reminder that marriage changes the lives of individuals forever. It's also the finale and official signal to shout, "Mazel Tov!"  A few prayers and good wishes and we were off to celebrate the official coupling! 

There was the Hamotzi, or blessing of the challah bread, then the the Hora generally called the chair dance, to the song Hava Nagila. =] I didnt do that at my wedding and now I am sorry. It looked like such fun and is part of a long cultural tradition. Once that was done, the bride and groom made a speech, we ate, drank and were merry.  Loads of photos including one of all of the UD graduates >> 
Among the UD graduates were 3 of my sorority sisters (me with 2 below).  I haven't seen them in decades!  They hadn't changed a bit! <3 So you might be wondering about the significance of the red wrap dress... When I was 16 I had my Bat Mitzvah (yes its usually at age ... thats a story for another post! lol).   I wore my mothers red silk wrap dress. When I was looking for a dress to wear to the wedding, I became all nostalgic.  Because I was thinking about my traditions and missing my mother, I went out in search of another red wrap dress.  Thank goodness for Diane von Furstenberg and her classic style of dress still being available! lol You might not believe me, but I haven't worn a wrap dress (mostly because it wasn't figure flattering ) since I was 16.  #jewishwedding  #redwrapdress #doubledelmarriage



1 comment:

  1. It all looks very nice dear Helene. I haven't been to a Jewish wedding but my youngest son married a Greek girl, their wedding ceremony in a Greek Orthodox church was very traditional and interesting. Glad you are having so much fun!
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete