Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Comfortable Routine vs New, Fresh Stimulating

I found this interview with Judith Sills, Ph.d.  
She’s a contributor on the Today Show, she writes a column for “Psychology Today” and she’s written six books, (one of them a New York Times best seller).  

She speaks about the importance of doing new things when you aren't satisfied with the comfortable routine.  Sills suggests there is an invisible anxiety that you have to push through to branch out of your comfortable routine.  The way to make it happen is by having a schedule (list of firsts- big or small) and a set of action steps (what exactly you will do and when it will happen).  

Another interesting point she makes is that its fine to have other people motivate or participate with you but there is real value in finding the energy within yourself to take that first step.

4 comments:

  1. I like it. I would like to try some of the things you have on your list there. Not flashing or belly dancing though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who asked for similar' firsts' for her 50th year. I suggested she dye her black hair blonde (and stay that way for a week), that she appear on a TV reality show (Come Dine With Me, so not racy) and that she go speed dating or on a blind date. The latter two obviously not suitable if you're not single! How about you dye that blonde hair red for a week? You never know you might like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok its going on the list Keren! haha I did it once before but it was more than 20 yrs ago and thats my rule... do something for the first time or that I havent done in 20 yrs or more! I would love to do a reality TV show too but dont have any idea as to how to get on. I tried out for Survivor once. Really cool experience but I didnt get picked! haha xx

      Delete
  3. I think it's pretty gutsy! I wish I were more adventurous!!

    ReplyDelete